In 1927 the new owners, Mayme and Clarence Lewellan opened a filling station and sandwich stand which is now the general store. In 1932 they hired a Norwegian woodworker by the name of Hokon Lestum to build a dancehall and a few cabins for vacationers.
The dancehall, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986, was constructed of hand hewn logs that required no chinking, as they were hewn to fit tightly together. The most distinctive feature of the dancehall is the floor. Beneath the oak inset patterned floor are 24 boxcar springs that give the floor bounce and flexibility. This is the only floor of its kind known to still exist in the area.
The Woods Landing General Store was built by Hokon Lestum and used as a filling station and sandwich shop in the early 1930’s. This building also served as the Woods Landing Bar until the early 1990’s when the bar was moved into the Dancehall. Many a story has been told and retold of wild nights (and days) spent in the old bar at Woods Landing.
Today, the Woods Landing Resort offers a full service restaurant, bar and dancehall, as well as a general store, post office, cabins, and RV camping. The bar and dancehall is a regular meeting place for the area ranchers and dudes who come from the entire Big Laramie Valley to enjoy our Saturday night dances. The cafe serves up the best burgers, shakes, and fresh homemade pie in the Valley. Lodging at the Woods Landing Resort includes a the fully furnished River Guest House, a new luxury log cabin duplex, six rustic log cabins and 10 RV spaces. In all, we can sleep about 36 people in addition to RV spaces so we are a perfect venue for family reunions, weddings, and just plain fun.